One-Time Passcodes - Frequently Asked Questions
One-time passcode will be phased in across our Card products from 5th July 2017. To tell you more about this change to using one-time passcodes when making purchases online, please see our frequently asked questions.
- What is 3D Secure?3D Secure is payment authentication standard for internet purchases which adds an extra layer of security when purchasing online using your debit card or credit card (“Card”) with participating retailers. Visa calls its version Verified by Visa and Mastercard calls its version Mastercard® SecureCodeTM .
- What do I need to use 3D Secure?To use 3D Secure:
- You must have internet access
- You must have a mobile phone
- We must have your correct mobile phone number
- Your mobile phone must be able to receive SMS text messages
- How does 3D Secure work?You do not need to register your Card. When purchasing online from a participating retailer and authentication is required, you will be brought to a Mastercard SecureCode or Verified by Visa screen (“3D Secure Payment Screen”). You’ll be prompted to enter a one-time passcode sent to your mobile phone by SMS text message to complete your purchase. You have a number of attempts and a set amount of time to enter the passcode correctly. If you do not enter the passcode correctly, you will be unable to complete your online purchase.
- What is a one-time passcode?A one-time passcode is a random number. When you use 3D Secure, a passcode is automatically sent to the mobile phone number you have provided to us. The passcode will only be valid for the online purchase you have received it for. You do not need to remember this passcode. Each time you make a purchase online with a participating retailer, and authentication is required, a new passcode will be sent by SMS text message to the mobile phone number you have provided to us.
- Do I need to register my card for this 3D Service? No, you don’t need to register your Card. 3D Secure automatically applies to all of your Cards.
- How much does it cost to use the 3D Secure service? We do not charge for 3D Secure, however you are responsible for SMS fees charged by your mobile phone provider and for any internet fees when shopping online with a participating retailer.
- What will the SMS text message say with the passcode?
The SMS text message will be from BOI. I will not include your name or your card number and it will not ask for your account or PIN numbers, and will not contain any links for you to click. Here's a sample of the SMS text message;Verified by Visa;
123456 is your Verified by Visa one-time passcode. Use it within 5 minutes to complete your purchase for €75.50 at 'retailer'.MasterCard SecureCode;
123456 is your MasterCard SecureCode one-time passcode. Use it within 5 minutes to complete your purchase for €75.50 at 'Retailer'.
- How long is the one-time passcode valid for? A passcode is valid for a set amount of time, generally 5 minutes. If you do not submit the passcode correctly within 5 minutes, it will expire.
- My passcode has expired, what do I do? If your passcode expired, click on the 'Resend' button on the 3D Secure Payment Screen and a new passcode will be sent by SMS text message to the mobile phone number you have provided to us. You have a number of attempts to click on the 'Resend' button to get a new passcode.
- I didn't receive any passcode. What do I do? If you do not receive a passcode by SMS text message, you should check to see if the last 4 digits of the mobile phone number on the 3D Secure Payment Screen are the last 4 digits of your current mobile phone number. If not then call us on 0818 200 370, or +353 1 2500370 if you’re calling from abroad, to provide us with your up-to-date mobile phone number. If your current mobile number is correct on the 3D Secure Payment Screen, and you still don’t receive the passcode, you should check whether your mobile phone is receiving SMS text messages. If you normally receive SMS text messages then you should be able to receive the passcode.
- What if the 3D Secure Payment Screen does not appear? A 3D Secure Payment Screen will not always appear when you are making online purchases using your Card. This may be because you are making a purchase from an online retailer who doesn’t use 3D Secure.
- Will my registered mobile phone number be shown on the 3D Secure Payment Screen? Only the last 4 didgets of the mobile phone number you have provided to us will be shown on the 3D Secure Payment Screen.
- The mobile phone number that is showing on the 3D Secure Payment Screen is not my correct mobile phone number - what should I do?
- I don't have my mobile phone on me or I don't have a mobile phone. What do I do? To be able to complete your online purchase, you will need a mobile phone to receive the passcode as you need to enter this passcode to authenticate your purchase.
- I changed my mobile phone number. What do I do? If you have changed your mobile phone number you will need to update your details with us as the passcode will be sent to the mobile phone number you provided to us. Please call our 3D Secure team on 0818 200 370, or +353 1 2500370 if you’re calling from abroad to help you provide us with your up-to-date mobile phone number.
- I have two mobile phones, which number do you have? On the 3D Secure Payment Screen, the last 4 digits of the mobile phone number you have provided to us will be displayed. Please note that you may have provided us with different mobile phone numbers for your debit and credit card.
- I can't complete my online transaction as BOI don't have my mobile phone number. What do I do?
- What should I do if I've entered the passcode incorrectly and I'm unable to complete my online purchase using my Card?
- Can I opt out of receiving one-time passcodes? No, if you’re making an online purchase with a participating retailer using your Card and authentication is required, you need to enter the passcode sent to you by SMS text message.
- Can I choose not to proceed with the payment? Yes, just click the ‘Cancel’ button on the 3D Secure Payment Screen and you’ll be brought back to the retailer’s website.
- I need help with the 3D Secure service and I can’t find the answer here?