Bank of Ireland Junk Kouture Announces 2018 Regional Finalists
From Junk to Kouture 158 Drinking Straws 97 Egg Cartons Sees John the Baptist Community School, Limerick Fearlessly Make Their Way into This Year’s Bank of Ireland Junk Kouture 2018
Bank of Ireland today (8th February, 2018) announced the regional finalists for Bank of Ireland Junk Kouture 2018. Now in its eight year Ireland’s leading fashion and art competition for secondary schools challenges students to create unique, original and innovative outfits from recycled materials and junk.
Pictured at today’s announcement is Emily Noonan a sixth year student from John the Baptist Community School, Limerick wearing Intrepid. An old wardrobe, 158 drinking straws and 96 egg cartons were just some of the materials given new life through the creation of this piece which she made for Bank of Ireland Junk Kouture 2018. The team were delighted to have received a Silver Ticket from Bank of Ireland Junk Kouture Ambassador James Patrice and Team today.
The thrifty students collected a vast array of unwanted “junk” to fashion their entry which sees them go forward to compete in the Southern regional final of the competition on the 9th March in the University Concert Hall, Limerick.
- 158 Drinking Straws used to make the bodice, shoulder pieces and headpiece of the dress were collected from the homes of families and their friends;
- 97 egg cartons along with cardboard, newspaper collected from the recycling bins of students homes was used to make a clay paste and construct the shoes, corset and neckpiece of the dress;
- An old canvass wardrobe was repurposed and used to make the skirt of the dress and the flame detailing.
For the full list of 400 silver ticket winners who have made it through to the regional finals for Bank of Ireland Junk Kouture 2018 visit https://www.facebook.com/BOIstudents from 7pm today.
Regional finalists will receive with a precious Silver Ticket during February, though some regional winners received a surprise visit from the Bank of Ireland Junk Kouture ambassador James Patrice and the team who were on the road today.
Bank of Ireland Junk Kouture Regional Finals take place in:
- Millennium Forum, Derry: 1st March
- The Helix, Dublin: 5th, 6th & 7th March
- University Concert Hall, Limerick: 9th March