The Bank of Ireland Group is committed to providing our customers with a high level of service. However, we understand that sometimes, we don’t meet our customers’ expectations and when that happens we want to put things right.
When we receive a complaint, we will listen to you and understand the issue. We will then carry out a prompt, thorough and fair investigation. We endeavour to put things right first time and we will tell you what we are doing to achieve this. Whatever the outcome of a complaint, we will explain why we have reached that decision and offer assistance to you in any way we can.
A dedicated complaints function within Bank of Ireland is focused on placing the customer at the heart of everything we do to manage and resolve complaints. We believe that complaints give us a unique and valuable insight into the experiences of our customers. We review all the complaints we receive and aim to learn from them so we can improve how we work and provide our customers with the best service possible.
Complaints Performance Data Publication – Bank of Ireland (UK) plc: 1 July – 31 December 2018
For more information on our performance in managing complaints (in our UK business) please see the table below. Please note that this is the first reporting period where we are required to report total complaint activity (first table) and then extract and report complaints linked to a payment service activity (second table).
Source: BOI Group Customer Complaints
Please note, this data reflects the total time taken to reach a conclusion and we have not deducted time while we were waiting for a customer to reply to us.
To help you put these figures into context:
- 98.4% of customers who complained to us were satisfied with the way we handled their complaint and chose not to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service for independent adjudication;
- On 64% of the cases that the Financial Ombudsman Service adjudicated on, they concluded that the outcome reached by Bank of Ireland (UK) plc was fair;^
- On average, Bank of Ireland (UK) plc upholds 38.15% of all complaints we receive;
- Bank of Ireland (UK) plc resolved 98.9% of all complaints within 8 weeks of receiving them.
- Bank of Ireland (UK) plc resolved 96.40% of payment service complaints within 15 business days of receiving them;
- For Insurance & Pure Protection, 99.5% of which are Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) complaints, we received 826.68 complaints for every 1,000 policies currently in force. Approximately 75% of the PPI complaints we received were spurious complaints where no PPI was ever sold. If we remove these complaints then we would have received 206.72 complaints for every 1,000 policies in force;
^ Source: Financial Ombudsman Service, August 2018
Industry Complaints Performance Data
For more information, click the link to view the financial services industry complaints data, published online by the Financial Ombudsman Service in the UK.
Glossary of Terms
To better understand the terms used in this publication please refer to our complaints publication report glossary of terms.
To read this file you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available free of charge from Adobe’s Website. Download PDF reader.
Previously Published Complaints Data
Please click the link to see our previously published complaints data.