Identity theft occurs when a fraudster steals your personal information and uses it to impersonate you. They can carry out fraudulent activity such as trying to access your bank accounts, opening a credit card account in your name or getting payment from a supplier.
- Be cautious when posting personal information online, such as on social media. The more information you post online about yourself the easier it may be for a fraudster to steal your identity. Read more in Using Social Media.
- Never give your full banking PIN to anyone.
- Cancel lost or stolen credit or debit cards immediately using our Emergency Freephone Numbers.
- Lock all valuable documents away securely.
- Clear all information on your device before selling or disposing of it.
- Shred confidential information such as bank statements before you throw them away.
Lost or stolen card?
As soon as you believe your card has been lost or stolen, please get in touch. We’ll cancel your card as soon as you tell us it’s missing and get a new card issued to your address (the one we have on file for you) in 5 to 7 working days.
Fraud, suspicious activity or unauthorised transactions?
To report online fraud, suspicious activity, unauthorised transactions on your account or ATM fraud, please contact us as soon as possible via our Freephone numbers listed below.
Shared your online login details?
If you have shared your banking details in response to a suspicious email, text or call, please notify us as soon as possible via the Freephone numbers listed below.
Report a suspicious email or text
To report suspicious Bank of Ireland related emails or texts (both personal and business customers), send the suspicious email or text to email@example.com
Emergency Contact Numbers
Republic of Ireland
Freephone: 1800 946 764 (personal and business)
Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Freephone: 0800 121 7790 (personal and business)
Everywhere outside Republic of Ireland, Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Not Freephone + 353 1 679 8993
Not Freephone + 353 56 775 7007 (Lost/Stolen cards or smart device)