Offers to make quick and easy money can seem appealing but this is a way that fraudsters use people as ‘money mules’. Young people and students are often being targeted and recruited as money mules. They receive stolen money into their account, then transfer it to another account, usually overseas, and keep some of the cash for themselves as ‘payment or withdraw the cash and pass it on to the money mule recruiter.
- Beware of requests to make quick and easy money.
- Beware of job advertisements that might seem genuine but promise a quick and easy way to make money, and simply ask that you have a bank account.
- Don’t be tempted to allow your own bank account to be used to move money to other accounts.
- Always verify any ‘working from home’ opportunities to make sure that the business is legitimate, such as by checking their contact details (address, landline phone number, email address and website).
- Remember that moving stolen money is illegal and can have serious consequences.
Lost or stolen card?
As soon as you believe your card has been lost or stolen, please get in touch. We’ll cancel your card as soon as you tell us it’s missing and get a new card issued to your address (the one we have on file for you) in 5 to 7 working days.
Fraud, suspicious activity or unauthorised transactions?
To report online fraud, suspicious activity, unauthorised transactions on your account or ATM fraud, please contact us as soon as possible via our Freephone numbers listed below.
Shared your online login details?
If you have shared your banking details in response to a suspicious email, text or call, please notify us as soon as possible via the Freephone numbers listed below.
Report a suspicious email or text
To report suspicious Bank of Ireland related emails or texts (both personal and business customers), send the suspicious email or text to email@example.com
Emergency Contact Numbers
Republic of Ireland
Freephone: 1800 946 764 (personal and business)
Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Freephone: 0800 121 7790 (personal and business)
Everywhere outside Republic of Ireland, Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Not Freephone + 353 1 679 8993
Not Freephone + 353 56 775 7007 (Lost/Stolen cards or smart device)