What is subsidence?
Subsidence is when a building’s foundation losses support and sinks into the ground.
Its main causes are:
- Changes in the normal water content of the subsoil under the foundation (particularly clay), due mainly to the effect of trees planted too close to buildings.
- The makeup of the ground such as man-made, reclaimed land, or peat
- Poor design or construction of a house or its foundations
- The house is not designed or built to suit the soil conditions.
- The location of the site (eg on a steep slope)