What are the steps of account switching and are there any deadlines I need to be aware of?
Step 1: Open a new Current Account
Step 2: Let your old bank know you plans
here for information on online account opening. You can also visit a branch or call our Account Opening Team on 1890 354 454 (+353 1 4044034 if calling outside the Republic of Ireland) and we will help choose the right Current Account for you.
Step 3: If appropriate, let people know your new details
- Complete an Account Transfer Form confirming the date of the switch and whether you would like to close your old account or keep it open. We will send this to your ‘old’ bank and they will make these changes to your old account.
Step 4: Ensure your bills are paid on time
- Ensure your employer knows about this switch and re-direct any other regular payments into your new account.
Step 5: Complete the switch
- Check all standing orders and/or direct debits that your ‘old’ bank will send you. Make us aware of any changes you would like to have made to your standing orders. To change or cancel any direct debit(s) you must contact your provider (the direct debit originator directly).
- Your balance and standing orders will be applied to your new account. If at this point you have any further questions, you can contact our Switching Unit at 076 62 47518 / 47516 (LoCall rates apply).
- Under the Code of Conduct for the Switching of Payments Accounts with Payment Services Providers 2016, the old bank (where you have your existing account) must ensure that all steps must be taken to facilitate moving your account within 7 working days of the switching dates and the new bank (where you switch your account) must ensure that all steps are taken to open your new account within 10 working days of the switching date.
Did this answer your question?
Your answer helps us improve our Support Centre